This is an unedited recording of an interview for later editing and broadcast. Therefore, it allows for a reasonably full discussion of the issues.
Sean says no for these reasons:
- It is reasonable to assume that anyone who uses the "protecting the kiddies" argument is really interested in controlling adults;
- Ratings will have no effect, as many of these things are now downloaded from the Internet;
- Conservative authoritarians deceive themselves when they think the authorities are fundamentally on their side. The moment you ask for a control to be imposed, you put your trust in people you have never seen, who are not accountable to you, who probably do not share your own values, and who will, sooner or later, use the control you have demanded in ways that you find surprising or shocking.
© 2012 – 2017, seangabb.
Thanks for reading this. If you liked it, please consider doing one or some or all of the following:
1. Share it on social media – see buttons below;
2. Like my Facebook page;
3. Subscribe to my YouTube channel;
4. Sign up for my newsletter;
5. Click on a few of the discreet and tastefully-chosen advertisements that adorn this article;
6. Check out my books – they are hard to avoid.
Oh, and for those who may feel inclined to leave some small token of regard, here is the usual begging button: